Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Crusades through Arab eyes

Recent controversial events have got me interested in the theme East vs West, where does it come from and how it got to this point. In order to fully understand the origins of such discomfort and hate of historical proportions, I decided to dig into a book a dear friend of mine had told me about - The Crusades through Arab Eyes (Amin Maalouf).
Admittedly, I haven't read enough to be able to conclude anything more than experts already have, and not even reading it completely will help me on that quest. But it has undoubtedly opened my eyes (and fascination) to the world that was so much richer, so much knowledgeable, so much more experienced but capitulated to a beast-like force because of internal divergences...
The best thing about this book is that the author builds the plot on arab historians' descriptions, which allows you to have a first hand testimony of what happened at the time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Airness said...

I told you political history was interesting. :)))) Wait until you read about modern middle east politics, strategies and religious practices. As strange and intolerant the eastern world presents to us, it's still one of the most fascinating.

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home